Thursday, November 18, 2010

Write a letter today....

My cute little cousin was doing her project the other day, when she said “do you know that you get Stamps, postcards, Inland letters etc etc…in the post office..I said yes of course I do. But the wonder with which she said this to me made me think. In another decade may be the concept of a post office won’t exist anymore. The future generation may not know what a postcard is or a why a stamp is used. Like my cousin they might just learn about them in books.

In the forever busy world around us when we have millions of things to do in every minute, to take the time and pause to write to a friend seems an unworthy errand for many. It is such a shame that we today have stopped writing letters to each other. Everyone thinks -why take the pains to pause and think and write a letter then post it then wait for it to get delivered to just convey a message when a phone call, e-mail or instant message could do the same in a few seconds. I don’t like it but it’s a fact even I think the same way.

For just a moment think about the person at the receiving end. No matter how well drafted an e-mail is the feeling of receiving a hand written letter is so much better. It shows the effort taken to convey the message and also makes the person feel so much more important and remembered. I have preserved all the letters I got from my friends and it feels great and makes me feel special even today when I read them.

So, Here is my take on it.- Why take so much effort in school to learn and perfect the art of letter writing and to not use it?? No, that doesn’t seem right. Go ahead write a letter to a friend and enjoy the fact that you did..Spread some warmth.. I am certain it will make your day.

3 comments:

  1. But there is an advantage that we don't cut trees and hence we save the environment. Plus, transportation of these letters means depending on fossil fuels and burning them.

    This is the reason why these days digital downloads from online stores like itunes are encouraged rather than buying physical CD's.

    We save on creation and distribution of it physically. Not that data centers are eco friendly but we are moving towards that.

    The first and the last time I myself sent a post was last Diwali. It is indeed sad that the iconic post office system is dying a slow death but change happens.

    The government of India has plans to convert it into semi-bank system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as u said we are moving towards Eco friendly systems .. if that is the case then there isn't an issue is there??
    where there is a will there is a way ..
    all i am saying is have that will..

    ReplyDelete
  3. More paper->more cutting of trees->climate change and global warming -> doomsday. One of the major causes of global warming is deforestation which disrupts water cycle and increases the amount of Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Now, we all know how paper is manufactured, don't we? It's true that we're moving towards Eco-friendly systems, but we've got a long way to go to achieve sustainable development.

    And considering "time"- the most important factor which governs the lives of people in the 21st century, writing a letter by hand can at times be quite painful. But that doesn't mean it sucks. :P

    ReplyDelete